Monday 14 April 2014

Remixing a little "World" music from Real World records. Music Technology BTEC work

Ok, this was the second of 3 remixes I did for my course. The others are on my blog with links and a little info.

https://soundcloud.com/mr-keep-calm/kunlarim-sensiz-mr-keep-calms

I liked this song but when I heard the original (link below) I felt that there was a lot going on all at once and the obvious thing to do with it was spread it all out and give it space to breathe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtAqZ05SgAM

At first I mixed it using purely the stuff on the recorded tracks and was quite happy. However, this would not get me my grade so I was forced to make adjustments. In retrospect this has helped the track. The first thing I did was sequence the marching drums and this game it a distinct feel. I saw it like a show march which could carry the song and use lots of the original features.

The intro is a bounce of the whole song, taken to a part and then reversed. It sounded so good I did very little to it except add another part of the song that filtered in to give it some chaos, and a little cymbal to herald the coming of the track proper.

The instruments you hear are all part of the song. The individual string, flute etc parts and so good they had to stay in, it was just the way they were presented in the song that needed to change. My favourite part is around 1.15 when you hear the keys come in and the flutes and strings fade out and the electronic part (edited from the original part) comes in and then the singing starts.

I'm really pleased with this mix as I personally think it improves the track. It gives everything a chance to be heard and yet it sounds really rich. I can lose myself in this one and apart from just a lack of instruments to pick from I'm very happy with my efforts.

There is some side-chaining going on such as in the backing vocals. This was attached to different parts and with some experimentation until I got something I like. There is a whole load of automation going on here too with parts drifting in and out.

The "ha ha" section was a vocal section taken and repeated and allowed the part where she sings out loud and high to be stripped back and get some real impact. Her vocal is amazing on this track and was allowed to shine. there is a good deal of delay and reverb on this, controlled through automation, to help ring out at the end of sections.

There is little of the bass track used until the end and this is allowed to come in after the kick drum goes a little crazy. This was so the song could end on something of a peak. The chorus is allowed to come in here.

The biggest problem with mixing world music is that if you don't understand the lyric, which I don't, I might be chopping vocals in a nonsensical way. This is an issue in my opinion. All I did here in this regard is repeat the last sections so I really hope they still make sense.

The song ends the same as it begins, with the reversed tune and some delay.

I hope you like this. I certainly do. I went on a trip to Real World and played it in their control room and it sounded every bit as good there as it does here. I was kinda hoping they'd listen to it and I tried contacting the artist but I guess they just weren't interested. Shame (for me!). Still, you never know, one day they might just hear it and hopefully find it to be both respectful and artistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment